Monday, July 11, 2011

The best (accidental) equal rights PSA you will see today

This refreshingly cool video, shared by It's ok to be Takei, works as a spontaneously-generated PSA:



It's a great answer to those who believe evolving social norms, particularly when it comes to equal marriage rights, will somehow corrupt the young.

That's just not how kids' minds work. As each new generation faces the new social reality, they learn the new "normal" effortlessly, while the rest of us struggle to unlearn our prejudices.

For example, my son has a friend at school with two dads. When I first met him in the schoolyard, and I was trying to make arrangements with his parents for a playdate, I gave him a note and told him to give it to his mom.

"I don't have a mom," he said matter-of-factly. "I have two dads."

"...well, give it to one of your dads, then."

"OK!"

Sadly, this is also a reminder of why significant social change takes decades to achieve. It requires generational turnover to fully reset perceptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment